Saturday 9 July 2016

First Pre-Worlds Update!

Hello friends, family and fellow cyclists!


I finally had the chance to write the first update of my adventure to Junior Track Worlds!
The month of June was super hectic, between racing, exams at school and preparing myself mentally and physically for my trip.
Exams at school went well, and I have to say....I'm so lucky to go to such an amazing school. The support from my teachers and principal has been absolutely incredible. As a busy student-athlete, I know that I wouldn't be able to balance training and school if it wasn't for the flexibility of my teachers.  So, thank you Patrick Fogarty CSS, you're awesome!


After exams, I was off to junior road nationals in Gatineau. After pre-riding the course a couple of times with the rest of Team Ontario, I was feeling good about the race!


However...


During the first half of the race, I was caught in a crash and hit my head, cracking my helmet....In the cycling world, cracking a helmet is a big deal because that means my head made a significant impact with the ground. At this point, despite a headache, I got back on my bike and finished the race placing 9th.
After I finished, I didn't feel well, so my parents took me home as I was showing signs of a concussion. I was crushed to have to leave nationals without racing in the time trial or crit, but I was trying to stay positive and think about the bigger picture...junior track worlds in 3 weeks.


I visited a couple of doctors and I indeed had a concussion. This meant a week of rest or rest until my symptoms disappear.
The first thing I thought when I heard "a week of rest" was: OH MAN.  I'M GOING TO GO CRAZY.
But, thankfully I had completed multiple baseline concussion tests, which made it easier for my doctors to understand my head injury. By having a baseline, we were able to better track my symptoms and progression which ended up helping us determine when I was allowed to ride again.


*****NOTE TO ALL CYCLISTS: FIND A PLACE NEAR YOU THAT DOES BASELINE CONCUSSION TESTING AND GO DO IT!!!!!******


I kept telling myself that everything was going to be alright, and my body needed to get better for the pre-worlds camp and worlds. Positive energy = Healing.


Despite the minor concussion scare, On July 4th I was cleared by my  doctor and I am currently in Milton at the pre-worlds track camp. I think taking a week off and having a concussion helped me in a way because it made me realize how EXTREMELY grateful I am to be healthy and able to ride my bike.


Training is tough, but I couldn't be more thrilled and excited to take on the challenge of my first world championships and to be a part of an amazing team.


I don't know how to begin to thank everyone who has made this experience possible. From all of the financial donations to the helpers and supporters of my fundraising garage sale, my teachers, parents and friends, Louis Garneau and Clif...and many many more!
Thank you for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime, I will cherish every minute of it!


GO CANADA!!!!


Stay tuned for more updates 😊


Ali


Canadian Junior Women's Team Pursuit Squad 2016!


1 comment: